Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ugly Plants in our Yard





I got the new camera charged. A Canon Powershot 1100. And nothing to take a picture of!!!! So I took pictures of cacti in our yard. The camera takes good pictures but I do have to figure out how to get the pictures smaller. I ran these all through soft ware to make them smaller. This is a newly replanted one, dug up as it came up from the root of a larger one. Not sure it will make it over summer but these little buggers pop up all over. This is a little one like the one that is getting ready to bloom.

This one may take the prize for being the ugliest. We would take it out except it is a prickly job.

This is an uncommon one, called a rainbow cactus. It is very small and grows very slow.

These are century cacti. We have several of these as they pop up all over. John usually digs them out because they grow really big. The orangeless tree is in the back ground. It is blooming and the sweet smell is over powering. It hasn't had any fruit for the last two years, which is ok. Our neighbors have enough oranges to share.

A barrel cactus. It follows the sun and has mean looking hook like needles.

This one gets second prize for ugliest. It is rather close to the front step so does get trimmed back when it grows to far over the sidewalk. We had so many more varieties of cacti when we bought this place but have taken many of them out. Some because they were just plain mean and other because they got to big for the spots they were in.
I hope I can find something better to take pictures of tomorrow.
My computer battery is LOW.

No comments: