Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The cactus stem has grown several inches since the last photo. Teri has a book on cacti and I've got to go over to her house and look up this one OR maybe just wait!
Today is the Parks annual yard sale day. Traffic has been heavy since 6:30 AM. Every one looking for a deal. We will walk it a bit later.
I always talk about the good, the abundance of sun and nice weather, in Tucson. I guess I should talk about the bad and the ugly, what comes with not having freezing weather, the roaches. The first year we owned the trailer when we came back in the fall there were many dead roaches on the floors. I suppose they fried over summer. The exterminators couldn't get here till the next day. When I got up during the night I put on my glasses but there really was no need as they are big enough for a legally blind woman to see. They were bigger than any Minnesota mouse I have ever seen. We learned, quickly, how to summerize the trailer to keep the buggers out. And we keep up with the bug spray.
The only place we can't seem to stop them is at the swamp cooler on the roof. They get in the cooler somehow--they don't fly. Then they crawl through to the vents but can't get through as the 'grid' is to small in the vent covers. We have one vent in each room on the ceiling. Yesterday, I look up and there is a dead roach in the vent. UGH!!! John, The Official Bug Remover, he is so brave, got the roach out, it had been there long enough to crumble.
I never have seen a live roach or evidence of a live roach in the house. I suppose there could be. I keep all food in containers, just in case, and to not encourage them. And we do spray in and out while we are here.

No comments: