Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Real Farm or Farmtown?

We have real farmer neighbors and real veggies. The west ones actually live on a real farm when not here or in TX for the winter. The east ones, once removed, have a real farmer friend, who keeps them and us in veggies.
I have fruit flies hoovering near a plant in the bathroom. I read on the Internet how to set up a fruit fly trap. Set up a small bowl with red wine or cider vinegar, cover bowl with cling wrap and poke small holes in the wrap for the little buggers to get in but not out. No red wine, I know, so used vinegar. I caught zero, none, nil, no flies. Plan B. Fruit flies don't like Windex, but I don't know what plants think about it. I had some generic Windex and sprayed the plant and let it sit outside for a few hours. Then to, maybe save it's life, I spayed the plant with plain water. It has been 24 hours and no fruit flies. The plant is still alive but suppose that could take awhile to die.
Rain here today.
Later: Fruit flies are not gone. More Windex.

1 comment:

Aric and Janet said...

Try tea tree oil...it works for ants. You'd think it would work for fruit flies. I fill a bottle 1/2 way with water, add 3 Tbsp of Castile Liquid soap then add tea tree oil (like 20 drops). I also use it as a counter disinfectant. It smells better then windex.